Monday, October 20, 2008

Our cakes have reached a whole new low

So a couple of months ago, a friend asked me to make a cake for a "lady bug" themed baby shower. Vernon and Mandy did an incredible job. Mandy posted this picture previously on her blog but I'll add it here for posterity.


Needless to say, the cake was a big hit. As a result, I got a call from a lady who attended the shower wanting a grooms cake. Feeling cool & confident, I said "sure!" That was BEFORE I learned that the groom grew up in a white 2-story house on a corn farm in Iowa with 4 blue silos! (I think she mistook Vernon and I for Duff and Mary Alice from the "Ace of Cakes".) After a couple of weeks of sleepless nights & brainstorming, here is what we came up with.



The Monday after the wedding I went to the bank to make a deposit. My friend Erin who works there asked me what I did that weekend and I made the mistake of pulling up a picture of the cake on my cell phone. (What the heck was I thinking and when will I ever learn??) Today, Lana at the bank turned 60. So Vernon and I got a call with a very specific request. We followed their instructions to the "T" and here's the "crappy" result.



I fear to know what's next!!